Monday, October 25, 2010

PNG: Quotes

“In the past the Bible was like a piece of pork wrapped in banana leaves.  I tried many ways to explain how good it was, but the people just could not understand.  Now, when I read the Book of Jonah in Malinguat, it was like opening the banana leaves.  I saw the village people open their eyes wide with big smiles on their faces. Wow!  They saw the delicious pork!  They wanted to learn more about reading and about the contents of this Book.”

Malinguat Pastor

“I thought translation was about turning God’s Word into our languages. However, our goal is not translation, but transformation – a tool for taking the Gospel to our people. If people don’t change – our translation is not working.”

Nafian Saremo, Papua New Guinean advisor for the Madi Language Group and translation trainer.


“I have a large family spread throughout the village. If I work for money I can feed them all. But if I translate the Word, it is the best thing I can give them.”


Ismael Samuel, Angaataha Old Testament Translator, and participant in 2010 training courses

“Imagine an old illiterate lady who goes to church and the pastor reads the Bible in English…

Imagine going to a house and they give you one banana, and they ask you to live on that banana for a week… This is what got me interested in translation, not just preaching.”

Ken Andi, Agarabi translator and Ukarumpa translation teaching staff

“We are not well-educated, and we don’t speak English well. But we believe in God, and faith alone will make this work happen. Where we don’t have the knowledge, God provides it.”


Wabele Fuga, Onabasulu, translator and participant in Ukarumpa training course

No comments:

Post a Comment